Popular Posts

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Dogs and moving house.

My blog has been a little quiet recently due to me moving house. I am pleased to say the move went well but I wanted to bring your attention to animals and the stresses it can cause them.
As intelligent animals dogs are full aware of change whether that be moving house or other and unless we do it properly it can lead to behavioural problems and dogs running off.
Now we all know The control of dogs order 1992 states that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address including postcode engraved upon it but actually how many of us actually follow this order? I do sometimes but generally don`t.
What I decided to do was to move all the furniture from one sunlight room which was ventilated and put my dog inside the room with all her toys, bed, food and water. I decided to do this as I knew she would be barking and generally getting agitated. Whilst we were moving we did not hear a bark or a cry. I regularly went into the room and I was pleased to say she was relaxed and calm.
I also chose to unpack most of the furniture and decide where things could go once I got to my new home (which I hasten to add was literally 5 mins from my old house). I asked a friend to stay at the old house whilst I did this.
Bringing my dog to the new home was calm and enjoyable. I walked her the way there. I made it an adventure and I am pleased to say she has settled in very very well.

Other notable points to add would be the following;

  • Make sure you have a new collar with your new address clearly engraved upon it. 
  • Make sure you have researched safe new enjoyable environments for them to walk
  • Introduce them to your neighbours, postman and any other person they will come into contact with. 
  • If you have micro chipped your dog then please remember to change over the details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment